on august 1st we set out on a great adventure... this is a glimpse into our life and work in where we now call "home" - MACEDONIA!

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Honeymoon is... what Honeymoon?

So we definitely live in Macedonia now. Don't believe me; actually I hardly believe it myself but here's our address.
John & Sara Jakus
Ul. Braka Miladinovi
br. 55/1-13
2400 Strumica
Macedonia

Well lets start from the beginning. We left Chicago August 22nd at 2:30pm for our 8hr flight to Frankfurt - it went surprisingly well and the boys were well-behaved. Cal fell asleep about 3hrs prior to landing but Brady fell asleep on our decent into the Frankfurt airpot which turned out to be a fiasco. Most people may not know this about Brady but he sleeps like a rock and when he is out he is out but with that being said he does not take very well to being woken up. It usually creates for a very unpleasant environment! So there we are at the gate in Frankfurt (sometime around 10:30 in our minds) with two kids passed out; two pillows, two blankets and three carry-ons to get off the plane. John and I looked at each other with a bit of anxiety and thought how are we gonna manage this. As everyone exited the plane some of our fellow travelers were kind enough to see our dilema and help us with the bags... the kids on the other hand were a bit more tricky. Of course our strategic goal was to keep them asleep but as anyone who has ever flown through Frankfurt airport before that was a very lofty goal. OK, so I think Frankfurt airport might be the most poorly designed airport I have had the privledge of flying in and out of. Your must walk what is at least a mile to get from gate to gate and before entering a new gate area you have to go through security which of course would make total sense because you could have acquired something very dangerous while you were 30,000 feet above the ground for 8 hours. So with that being said our children did not make it through our excursion through the airport and security and remain asleep. They in fact did wake up... Cal was fine but Brady was quite a sight. Trying to block this part of the trip out, but I am pretty sure he tantrumed and curled up on a ball in the middle of the floor saying leave me alone continually until reaching our connecting gate then slept during our four hour layover - he did not wake up again until we got to the airport in sofia (where the same behavior happened again - what JOY)! When we arrived in Sofia we were all tired but so excited to see our friends, Larry, Courtney, the Gills and of course for John, I and the boys - Milen. Milen of course is from Bulgaria (3hrs outside of Sofia in a small town called Yombul) and left our home in Ohio early June to see his parents for the summer. It is still weird to think we will be here in Europe while he is in the states the next few years.... but anyways. That day is a blur... we were all so jet-lagged and the boys just wanted to sleep which of course made for a few interesting nights with them up for 4-5 hours hungry and ready to play. We spent two full days in Bulgaria relaxing and seeing people which was very nice... then on Aug 25th the other US players (Jeremiah, Todd, & John) arrived and we headed to Strumica (pronounced Strumitsa).As most people know driving in a new place can present some challenges but when you are in a country where there are no real rules of the road and all speed limits are optional it can be more than just a challenge and downright scary. I am from NJ where people are naturally aggressive drivers and John is very comfy driving in a BIG city and we were still intimidated. We were following a large red van carrying the team and most our bags and from the way this bus driver was driving you would have thought his butt was on fire. We lost him numerous time and they even popped a tire which you would have thought to be and encouragement to sow down, but now way. Needless to say 5 1/2 hours later we rolled into Strumica, eat dinner and were brought to our new apartment.
Originally John and I thought we were going to stay in hotel for a few days while we looked for a place to live, but the existing missionary couple (Ryan & Jyl Smith) had found us a place unbeknownst to us. So let me tell u a little about our place. First off it is on the 5th floor and there is NO elevator. It is probably 500 sq feet... a little bit smaller than what we are used to and when we walked through the door at midnight after traveling in a car without air conditoner at 95 degrees it was a bit of an emotional hit. In addition to the size we realized quickly (since there isn't much to see in 500 sq feet) that there were no beds for the boys to sleep in that night. Obviously we were all exhausted so we improvised and made it work between our bed and the couch cushions. It would only be for one night since the beds were to be delivered in the morning. So... of course the beds were not delivered in the morning. They were delivered 6 days later - it was a long week! I cried alot and few days a I am pretty sure I told John I was going home and he couldn't stop me - pretty mature huh? Not my finest moment, but slowly Myself, John and the kids are settlin' in here and our little apartment is feeling like home and the five story trek up to our place is probably the best calf/bun exercise i have every done... especially holding Cal or five bag of groceries.
Brady started Macedonia school today and I had my first playdate with Cal today. John will coach the first scrimmage of the season tomorrow (pray they win bc if they do John has promised to take me to Greece so we can hit up the IKEA again - we went the first weekend we were here). We have had a few language lessons and I can at least say hello like a local now! I have shopped in the huge open markets and successfully bought peaches, bananas, apples and pears. Oh and I drive everywhere. We can drive on the sidewalks here and well I am starting to think that the worse you are at driving the better - all the 16 year old first time drivers should come and learn here because then they for sure could drive anywhere. I feel that there is so much that I missed so if you have any questions just post 'em and I give you the scoop!

5 comments:

  1. U funny! Love how you explained it all! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. u would expect nothing less from me i would suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Wow. SARAH!!!! Im so gla you're just there. Now don't ever fly home hahaha! You'll look back on all this one day and laugh? I love you. And you are in r prayers more than ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,
    I posted a comment on your 8/9/10 blog update.
    I know most of what you are going through isn't funny at the time, but I sure have had a good laugh reading it. Oh, the memories of small children. So glad that you are all there safe & sound. I can't imagine 500 sq.ft.
    Happy Birthday to Brady on Mon when he shares that day with Uncle Dennis.
    Love to everyone. You are all in my prayers.
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara! It's your old neighbor, Jenny. I've really enjoyed reading your posts- it's amazing what you are experiencing...Vince asks periodically about Brady "why did he move to a new country?...what is a country?"

    We miss you and I have a feeling that 2 years is going to fly by...enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete